Chickering grand

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 12:39:51 -0400 (EDT)

>My bad, this is the # that was on the case.  Where would a serial # be on a
>chickering grand?  I found that # when I took the action out to show the
>customer a broken hammer
>
>Thanks
>Patrick

No, you might have the correct number.  Again, I am not an expert on the
old pianos by any means.  I have a Steinway square from 1860 that has the
serial # stamped on the pinblock on the far left.  Usually you will find it
there, on the plate, soundboard (top or bottom), treble bridge, etc.  It is
not uncommon to find it on the key slip or action frame.  I rebuilt an
older Chick grand not too long ago and I don't remember the number being
anywhere too odd.  Did the action have a wood action frame?  If it is that
old it may have been straight strung.

chris

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (614) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429