Fun with lyres

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 11:42:01 -0500

----------
> From: David ilvedson <ilvey@jps.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Fun with lyres
> Date: Sunday, July 05, 1998 6:26 AM
>
> Many movers use this method (tilting the piano to the sled) with a
moving blanket under (the lyre) and
> usually no problem.  What we need is a device that hooks up
> under where the lyre was used only for tipping.
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA

I have thought of that.  I move Grands up to 5'6"  solo, by using the
lyre. I couldn't afford the mover's every time I rented one for a wedding
etc. I did have it "prepared".  T nuts instead of lag screws and damn sure
the glue joints are solid. After this the lyre works OK, so good it makes
the use of an auxillery to take its place seem like useless work.  Most
movers I have seen even if they do not roll the piano over with the lyre,
put a blanket under it to raise the bass leg for removal.  Now that is a
lot of weight on the lyre.  In actual practice it seems a lot of the
weight is taken off in the act of tipping over.
	Another plus to the lyre method, is you don't have to remove the lyre
(along with two  legs), unless openings are too small. That saves a lot of
time and headaches.  The projecting lyre and legs actually aid in the move
as something to grab on to. (and tie on to in the truck)
	The only real concern it seems is the pressure on the keybed. But I
havn't heard of problems comming from that.  Of course if the piano is
worth more than 20K then it makes sense to hire extra movers.
	I can imgine a device that is placed between the lyre and bass leg shaped
rather like a quarter circle on a tilter, held in place by friction rather
than screws, raising the piano enough to remove the leg and lyre, then
tilt her over.

Richard Moody