Chipping

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 05 Jul 1998 00:51:05 -0400

I run a strip of masking tape along the agraffs or pressure ridge too
but mark all the sharps with a line. That way I have my bearings from
the 'keyboard' configuration of the marks.

Also, if you had used a measuring guide (other than 4 fingers) to cut
the wire you can be assured the becket placement will be consistent.
( read - Becket Tool )
So express chipping can be accomplished simply by becket placement
to get tension on the strings. Initially pulling the beckets to 1:00 with a
stringing hook is in one hand and the hammer in the other, zips right along.
Space strings (ESPECIALLY the tenor section over the wide cloth
counter bearing), tap coils, squeeze beckets.
Then pull to 2:00. Check pitch and chip via plucking. check coils.

Once the tension is up it's time to trash the tension by squeezing the wire
at the
hitch pin; removing the natural curve on the duplex, bridge pins,
v-bar/agraffs
and counter bearing bar. Tension may need to be re-established intermittently.

Double check coils on pins.

tune, tune , level strings, tune, fit hammers to strings, tune

Tired yet?

Regulate, install dampers, and yes, you guessed it; tune. fit hammers to
strings,
tune.

repeat as necessary.

I'm tired just writing this.