Silicone in Pinblocks

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Sat, 4 Jul 1998 21:46:26 EDT

Ted,

Good recommendation.  I pulled up both articles and read them (been a while
since I have been back into either of those issues). Susan's comments
concerning finishing materials, surfaces, etc. are very appropriate and are
things that we should always consider.  In reading further over onto page 15,
the only substance that she actually recommends for use on "string contacts,
metal to metal (capo and agraffe)" is something called Joy's Rustsolv.
Perhaps someone on the west coast can see if this stuff is atill available.

In reading Jim's comments in the February '93 issue, I noticed that he
forwards a warning from Joe Vitti which states, "Joe does advise against
getting the solution (Protek) in the tuning pin/pinblock area."  Frankly I
agree and we should probably be very cautious about running the risk of using
ANY lubricant of any sort anywhere near here.

I'm still afraid that my initial comments may have been misconstrued. My
personal choice is to not use any lubricants on the strings, capos, agraffes,
coils or anywhere up there.  I intended to comment on the use of a solution on
action centers and my doubts as to whether it was possible for application in
that area to ever reach the pins or pinblock.

I love these kinds of discussions though.  Now, instead of just the things
that I'll get fascinated with at Convention, I have a whole different
experiment waiting for attention (On top of all of the others already waiting!
:-).  Hopefully I can get to it after the back-to-school, first of the
semester tuning rush and see where it goes. Also, while in RI maybe we can ask
Kent Webb if there are any records of Lew Herwig's experiments at Wurlitzer
and see if LeRoy Edwards has any record of Yamaha's experiments with dimethyl
silicone.

Interested in a research product?

Later,

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Calhoun, GA USA
Gilreath@aol.com

<< Allan,
    You may want to refer to an article on lubricants by Susan Graham in the
 October, 1990 Journal, page 10.  It covers them all.  Also, Jim Harvey has
 looked into Protek and gives a good description of it in the February, 1993
 Journal, page 12.

 Ted Simmon