historical vs. equal temperament

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Fri, 03 Jul 1998 15:39:47 -0700 (MST)

Hi Orlando:

Several months ago I wrote about tuning the pure 5ths Temperament, and it
was also published in the Piano Technicians Journal. Basically it involved
widening the temperament octave by around 1.5 to 2.0 cents at their 4th
partials. This makes the octave about 1 bps wide. No problem, We've been
listening to 4ths which are 1 bps wide for a long time. The initial thought
scares people, but in listening to the music afterward, it is quite
acceptable. The 4ths will be wider also. In fact all of the wide intervals
as a consequence are slightly wider and all of the narrow intervals are
slower. It is still equal temperament with the final addition of tempering
the octaves. Some people think of it a Pythagorean tuning, but it
nothing of the kind except for the pure 5ths. No pythagorean 3rds or 6ths.
Everything is smooth and even.

In constructing such a tuning, you must start out with the widened octave.
Please refer to the Aug '97 Journal for the details. Or better yet, attend
my class in Providence and get the detailed notes on how to do it by ear.

Jim Coleman, Sr.