Breaking strings...

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 14:04:31 EDT

In a message dated 98-07-02, Phil Ryan writes:
<< My question is-  how many strings should one break before
 declaring the piano untunable and in need of a restringing or
 rebuilding.  The owner is only interested in having it "tuned."  Any
 advice? >>
----------------------------------
String breakage can be more of a public relations problem than a technical
one. The owner's expectation for normal tuning after neglect may be
unreasonable, and this needs to be addressed. The secret is to remember that
the piano has been neglected, and shift the burden where it belongs (the
customer) in as gracious and diplomatic a way as possible, and BEFORE STARTING
WORK. I always tell the client several things while discussing costs before I
start on a piano I haven't serviced before:

1) Pianos are amazingly hardy but, like our cars, require regular service.
Lack of maintenance can accelerate decay, and increases the chance of trouble
when routine service is attempted.
2) They needn't feel guilty about the neglect, but it does increase THEIR risk
at this visit. I can give a fixed quote for a regularly maintained piano, but
have to have more tolerance in the estimate for the unknown in this one.
3) Strings lose their elasticity over time, and because of the long interval
since the last service, some may break when I try to tune them to their proper
pitch.
4) Although the client will be responsible for paying for broken strings
[quote price here], I want to protect their interests, and will stop if as
many as three break (or two close together), and lower the pitch. While this
will not be to the correct pitch level, it will make the piano sound better
until it can be rebuilt or replaced. They may be responsible for the cost of
several strings (it is even possible, though rare, for really fragile ones to
break on the way down), the cost of the pitch raise, the cost of the time to
lower, and a tuning.
5. At your discretion, you may also want to discuss the very limited instance
of catastrophe, like plate breakage or back/pinblock separation, stressing its
rarity while alerting them to the possibility.

If any of the above scares them off, I don't want to start. I tell them if
they don't feel like taking the risk at this time,  I can understand that, and
that we can call it quits for just my minimum service call fee to cover my
time for coming out.

Incidentally, my experience doesn't indicate that strings which are long left
below pitch and then brought up have any shorter life than those regularly
tuned; perhaps the opposite. It's just that the breakage risk is all
concentrated into a short time span. I also don't see any advantage to
bringing them up gradually -- I just pitch raise quickly until they are very
close, then fine tune, all in one visit. With enough pre-tuning before the
fine, and if I am lucky enough to get by without breakage, they will sound
more than acceptable in six months, certainly much better than before I
started, and from then on they're stable. With breakage, we need at least one
return trip to pull up the new ones, unless they have been muted off until the
six month visit.

Regards.
Bob Davis