Silicone in Pinblocks

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:17:24 -0500 (CDT)

Allan,

The problem isn't so much the overall torque of the pin in the block (static
friction), it's the sliding friction that will be affected most. It's also
dependent on the density of the block, and the type of tuning pin.
Contaminated with silicone, a denser block will more likely make for snappy
turning pins than a less dense block. A rolled thread pin will be more
snappy than a cut thread pin. It's possible to have a block/pin combination
that won't show any dramatically adverse effects from silicone
contamination, but it can't be categorically anticipated as to just how any
particular piano will react. The point is, rather than playing Russian
Roulette with silicone around a pin block and assuming no damage, get some
Protec and use it for both action centers and string bearing points (if you
must). The only place I've found string lubrication useful/necessary is in
the yards of understring cloth you have to drag a string over tuning some
pianos. I haven't generally found it necessary, or particularly helpful if I
tried it, to lubricate brass, iron, or steel string bearing points. Break
'em back before you pull 'em up and they will come.

Ron

>I hear this often, but has anyone actually had an experience where this has
>occurred?  An assistant of mine ran a quick experiment a few years ago of
>dousing a piece of pinblock material on a monochord with silicone/naphtha
>solution and seeing the results over a period of time. He didn't take torque
>measurements so I'm not exactly sure what the change was.  However, evening
>with being doused in that manner, the pin went from a little too tight (like
>some pianos we already tune) to smoother in turning but still well within
>exceptable limits.  Now I'm not advocating putting lubricant on the pinblock
>and in fact I personally haven't found the need to apply any lubricant to the
>strins or bearing points.
> --trim--
>Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
>Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.