Square Grand and Melodian Combonation

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 20:03:54 -0400

>I have a customer with one of these type pianos.  He would like to sell it.
>It does mot have any manufacturer markings that I know of.  Can anyone
>recommend a book that I could find out more info on this instrument?
>Thanks...
>Barry Weiss
>    R.P.T.
>  Miami, Fl.

Well, not really very particular information.  You need to have one of us
addicts show up and look it over and apply our peculiar experience.   I'm
moving to Miami in late August.  e-mail me personally if your customer is
interested.

As far as restoring, they can be very satisfying.  It all depends upon the
individual and  their goals.  They are not Steinway B's and can't be made
to play or sound like one.  They do have perfect character for much music
of their times, and can be a most welcome addition to a home.  It cannot be
done cheaply or quickly however, as parts must be recreated, and
painstaking care taken all around.

I have seen square grands in antique shops regularly.  Most I would not
consider buying as they are cheaper brands and pulling themselves apart
fatally.   Only sufficient reinforcement will cure them and then the tone
is lost to the heavy structure.   Some however, have tremendous potential.
I'm still kicking myself for not picking up an instrument I saw 4 years
ago, but my shop was too backed up as usual.

Anne Beetem

Anne

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos