removing lids on performance pianos

Wallace Scherer WallyTS@compuserve.com
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 04:25:41 -0400

Rob,

I don't have experience with this exact problem, but your idea of larger,
attached, hinge pins sounds good. Hope you have discussed the situation
with the department chairman.

Another thought: I used to work next to a plastics shop where they made all
sorts of custom sized and fitted things. Maybe a molded plastic top would
work, about 3/16" thick. It would surely be lighter to lift off each time
than the heavy wood lid. It would need about a 1 1/2" rim to fit over the
rim of the piano, and to reduce scratching have felt attached inside its
rim. When the measurements are made for the molding, make sure the
thickness of the felt is taken into consideration.

Hey, crazy fads require crazy innovation.

Wally Scherer
E-mail: WallyTS@iName.com (Please use this new address now!)
Web page: http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/2411
"Speak to strangers - all your friends once were!"