More Money in Tuning or Servicing?

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Wed, 01 Jul 1998 23:46:24 +0000

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998 06:29:57 -0400, Eugenia Carter wrote:

>Arnold,
>
>Very few of us can work full time as both a tuner and a rebuilder. Don't
>think there are that many hours in a day. ;-)
>
>Like you, most of my time is spent in tuning, minor repairs, and action
>work; however, I offer my clients full piano service through a partnership I
>have with another technician. He does all the major rebuilding; I limit
>myself to action rebuilding only. Many times I subcontract the entire
>rebuilding job to him.  I sell the initial job to my customer and do all the
>follow-up work after the piano is delivered. The client always remains mine,
>but the rebuilding contract with the customer is in both our names. The
>responsibility for the finished product belongs to both of us. This format
>works well for us; other technicians have other formats that work equally
>well.
>
>The key to our success is total and complete trust and respect for our
>partnership. Each of us knows exactly what/how/when/where/why/who for each
>aspect of the job. If something unexpected occurs, we address the details
>and work out a solution that is equitable to both of us. Foremost, always,
>is our mutual obligation to the customer.
>
>Subcontracting can be a scary premise, especially if you haven't established
>a trusting relationship with your subcontractor. It's up to you to do your
>homework: not only do I recommend that you see some of his/her work
>yourself, I also recommend you check out their business reputations.
>Honesty, pride and quality of work go hand in hand. Once you find the right
>person to work with, you have the potential to increase both your incomes.
>
>Gina
>

>Gina Carter, Charlotte NC
Gina and List,
	Those of you who have no experience with this I suggest you
enter into it very carefully!  I had a very bad experience with a
rebuilder at the exact opposite end of our state and wanting to be
carefull, I did all the things that you suggested and even spent the
time to go visit Him and his shop.  I contracted with him to install
a pinblock ,restring,and refinish a customers piano while I
reconditioned the action.  I finally got the piano back only 45 days
after the expected time with the pin block too low to install the
action.  I was there when his guys delivered it and the customer wqas
so upset that they would not even entertain the thought of sending it
back.  All trust was lost and I spent the day trying to chip away a
layer or two of the underside of the pinblock so that I could slide
the action in.  I recieved no consideration from this rebuilder as he
offered to redo it so I guess that was supposed to be enough.  The
family name is well know from a sterling reputation of the father.
The son who now runs the business was the one I dealt with and I did
not find that the reputation was upheld.  Watch!!!! Beware !!!! Even
if the homework is done there can still be trouble.  Since then I
have just given the customers names of those who do that kind of work
with no personal endorsement.
				hope this helps,
					Greg Newell
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell