historical vs. equal temperament

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Wed, 01 Jul 1998 12:40:45 -0600

Hi,

Not only are his views the same, they are *even* stronger. He doesn't
disclose to his clients that they are getting what ever attempt at an HT he
uses. Any one who uses *stock* tunings at different times of the humidity
cycle is *doomed* to failure. Pianos require a *custom* tuning each and
every time. Atleast to my ears.

At 09:06 AM 7/1/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Bill and list,
>   I believe the concert tuners for Steinway in the basement in NY use
>ET for the best pianists in the world. In some of the greatest concert
>venues in the world.Does this mean that because they are playing in ET
>pianists such as the late Horowitz played with "diminished sensitivity"?
>Or that the worlds greatest pianists who went to the worlds greatest
>music conservatories are uninformed about what "keyboard tonality is and
>how to work with it"? Bill, are your views about HT the same when it is
>a concert situation?
>Doug Hershberger,RPT
>

>Billbrpt@aol.com wrote:

  The HT's  demand a sensitive pianist.  ET teaches people
>> to play with very diminished sensitivity because there is no need for it.
>> Therefore, when the powerful or quiet tonalities of the HT's are played with
>> insensitivity,  the music sounds "wrong".
>>
>> Bill Bremmer RPT
>> Madison, Wisconsin

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"