More Money in Tuning or Servicing?

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 21:27:33 -0700

Arnold Schmidt wrote:

> On 1998-06-30 John Page said:
> (in a message called Tool Update)
>
>    >Tunings can get to be a bore and being able to service the piano
>    >mechanically is where the money is. You can tune and then comment
>    >how the action would respond better if these certain adjustments
>    >were made.
> I am curious to know whether others on this list think there is more money
> in tuning or repair?

Arnold,

I think there is money in whatever you would like to do. People who love
shop work will get their shop organized and outfitted to do that sort of
work efficiently. They will also have learned well the procedures that
work best for them, so that they don't have to stop and think every
time, "How am I going to do this?" They just do it, the work goes
quickly and, therefore, there is money in it for them.

For myself, it has always been easier to tune, service, voice, regulate
and do minor repairs. Because of the interests and talents that I have,
it is only natural that I maintain this focus. When I do the occasional
augmented repair, restringing or whatever, I don't make much money at it
because I have never gotten efficient at it. It's more of a break in the
routine for me. More and more, though, I sub the work out to a good shop
worker and stick with what I know best.

Do what you love to do and the money will come, increasingly as your
skills improve. Do what you hate and you'll have a difficult time making
a living.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT