[Fwd: Re: This temperament thing]

A440A A440A@aol.com
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:17:48 EST

Michael wrote:
<< I know musicians when
first exposed to historical temperaments often only have a sense that
something is different but can't put there finger on why>>

     I remember the first time I played a Dowd harpsichord.  I could feel the
vibrations through the key.  A cluster of notes would cause my whole hand to
shake!  It felt great, probably as close to holding a note in my hand as I
will get.
     There is another profound difference between ET and WT I have not
mentioned yet.  A good piano lets you feel the string vibration through the
keyboard.   ET feels much the same, everywhere, so one doesn't develope a
sensitivity to THAT aspect of touch.  In a Well Temperament, the physical
sensations are different for the different keys.
     The key of C usually has a strong fifth working in there, and the major
third is so close to Just that it stays out of the way.  The actual "feel" of
this key is steadier and stronger than the others.  A highly tempered key has
a less powerful tactile message for your fingers, but still feels very active.
I can recognize the "hardness" in the keys when a B major chord is played on
something like a Kirnberger.
    These are differences that have their effect on the pianist. When their
instrument begins responding like this, with its own agenda, there is more
communication between artist and instrument.
     A technician that can improve the communication between an artist and
their instrument will become a more valued technician.  Is that not what many
of us are striving for?
Regards to all,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works