response to part-timer thoughts

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 23:13:11 +0000

Eugenia Carter wrote:

> Jim B, as in Baby Grand Pere :-)
>
> A couple of years ago when the ETD topic was being heavily debated, I made
> the comment that I didn't encourage anyone to use them until they had passed
> the PTG tuning exam. My rationale was that one needed to learn their aural
> skills and hammer technique thoroughly before using an ETD. Very quickly,
> and thankfully very privately, two of our very respected contributors gently
> chastised me that these devices, used in the proper method, can be one of
> the most useful learning tools a novice can have to hone their skills. It's
> a lesson I was grateful to learn and haven't forgotten.
>
> Gina Carter, Charlotte NC

Gina and list,
	Just to get my 2 bits in. I'm not an RPT. (yet. Will be ypgrading this
year). Struggled for a time learning to tune aurally until I started
tuning with and ETD. Was the greatest asset to my education as a tech. I
didn't really work "under" (apprentice) with another technician. Did do
a couple of conventions in my early years, before I even decided to
persue this as a full-time profession. Had some one on one training at
the convention level as well. But never really had much feedback from
day to day. Using an ETD really helped me with the temperment section.
Helped my get the beats rates where they should be. I can now (didn't
used to be able to) tune a piano as well aurally (if not better, or
sometimes worse) as I can with an ETD. I do at times tend to rely on the
machine too much, but its very hard not to. I remember the technician in
the Phoenix Chapter who really got me going in piano technology, used to
tune pianos while listening to a Walkman. I was still in college and
thought that was cool. When using an ETD, you just need to understand
that it should be used as an aide, and when used properly, it can be one
of the most useful learning tools a novice can use. And not to mention
the old timers as well.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH