Boston verticals

Billbrpt Billbrpt@aol.com
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 23:11:58 EST

<< Is the Boston vertical a Kawai with closer tolerances or does it have
Steinway design features?   >>

     Others have told you that it is designed by Steinway, which is true.
While there are other design differences, I believe one of the most important
to be that of the scale design which is far different.  Kawai has low
inharmonicity, Steinway is high.  While high inharmonicity may seem
undesirable, in my view, it gives a skilled tuner more to work and be creative
with.

   Please read my post dated 2/27 on Historical Temperaments which is in
response to Jim Coleman.  I talk about the difference between Kawai &
Steinway.

   I must admit that whenever I have heard a Boston being played but could not
see the piano, I thought I was hearing a Steinway.  The two pianos being very
different, you should make your comparison and choice very carefully.  If you
have the opportunity, try tuning both.  They will tune differently.  You may
find the Kawai easier but be assured that ultimately as your tuning skills
progress, you will be able to be more creative with the Boston.

   Good luck on your search and let the List know your findings and choice.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison Wisconsin