Voicing

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 19:59:48 -0700 (MST)

Hi David:

There are cases where 3 to 1 thinner to lacquer may be needed. I once in
my ignorance mixed 4 sanding sealer to 1 thinner. Actually I was
providentially over-ruled because that was exactly what that piano needed.
It was the Phoenix Symphony D. Of course I had to do a lot of needle work
but it turned out to be a piano which everyone loved. So, what can you lose?
the hammers are dead now. There is something nice about sanding sealer, you
can get the needles out easier. It is never quite as hard as solid clear
lacquer and it does break up easier.

I like to apply lacquer (or even keytop solution) to the flat sides of the
hammers. This makes sure that the hardness is applied down low over the
moulding where it does the most good for power. Then you don't need to
work so much on the top of the hammer to eliminate that hard crust.

Jim Coleman, Sr.