CA adhesive repairs

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 18:04:09 -0600 (CST)

>Has anyone been Unable to remove an Uncoated screw from a CA treated
>hole?
>
>Bob Anderson
>Tucson, AZ

The following may or may not answer your question, Bob.

I used CA Thin to treat a complete set of let-off regulating screws in two
grand pianos, same brand, same size, same decade.  I had determined that
were marginally loose and would gradually turn and lose their adjustment
after repeated contacts with the jack tender.

On one grand piano I made one pass with the CA Thin.  On the other grand
piano I made several passes with the CA Thin.  The 88 regulating screws
turned just fine on the one pass piano.  I broke 4 regulating screws on the
several passes piano and the other 84 were difficult to break free.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731