clean - don't ream!

THEOFONE THEOFONE@aol.com
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 23:30:12 EST

In a message dated 2/26/98 10:00:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rob_sv@email.msn.com writes:

<<   Their premise was that cleaning
 tuning pin holes with a rifle cleaning brush chucked up in a drill was a
 better way to approach the repinning problem than reaming the holes. >>
                    To ROB STUART- VAIL
                     I also agree with this philosophy,,,,, but I also add one
thing.
Burnish the holes with a 50-50 mixture of chalk and rosin. This IMHO will give
a better long term fit and control to the pin. The gun brush will clean the
hole  of any burn and char that is in the hole and the objective MORE surface
contact area. ( Did you ever wonder why tuning pins are threaded?)  To keep
them from being pulled out YES,,,  BUT  to give them MORE contact area for
friction. I would bet that the thread doubles the surface area (I dont know)
but to me , IMHO, it stands to reason

                                                        Theodore Mamel RPT
                                                         Pittsburgh Chapter