Clean - don't ream!

Bob Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:13:50 -0700

Rob - I've used both reamers and bristle brushes. I prefer the brushes.
I used to buy them at an ammunition supply, then some piano supplier(I
forget who) started selling them. One thing to remember is that there
are several variables: 1) the consistency of the original drilling, 2)
the consistency of diameter of the original tuning pins, 3) the
consistency of the replacement tuning pins, and 4) the consistency of
your reaming of the holes. After measuring several sets of tuning pins
some time ago, I discovered the discrepancy between the real world and
the ideal world. In the ideal world, 0.286" is really 0.286". In the
real world, one 3/0 tuning pin may vary as much as 0.004" from another.
That's just one variable. When you start to multiply the variables, you
can get quite a range frome tightest to loosest. This is not very
reassuring, but the main thing is that the better you can control the
variables, the more consistent result you can achieve.

Yours,

Bob Anderson
Tucson,AZ