Part-timers again

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:07:11 +0000

At the risk of merely wasting bandwidth, here's my 2 cents.
I am a part-time tuner (and 42 y/o). My full time occupation is
accountant for a large corporation. I've survived numerous
down/right-sizings and didn't survive one. Being realistic, it's only a
matter of time (best guess about 10 years), before I reach that stage
where I'm too expensive to keep around.... So I started looking around
for something to do when I take my "early retirement", something NOT
involving accounting nor large corporations.
Sooo, I decided to become a piano technician, took the Randy Potter
course (which I just finished and will graduate with high honors),
joined the PTG, and started doing some moonlighting as a piano tech.
To be perfectly honest, I have no idea how PTG members in general feel
about part-timers, but so far, everyone that I've met who were in the
PTG has been very supportive and helpful. In short, I don't feel that
I've been treated any differently than any other new member, full-time
or part-time.
As to my tuning quality, I realise that I'm still a novice and will get
better over time. However, my best customer (from whom I've received
numerous referrals), is a local piano teacher, who became disgruntled
with her other tuner (a full-time tuner), and has been really pleased
with the way her piano sounds now.

--
Jerry Hunt
Dallas, TX USA