Holy Steinway M!

james allen bickerton jbickerton@abraxis.com
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 14:32:31 -0500

Help!  Tuned a 1929 Steinway M (Serial #M268519) for a lady the other
day - hammers, bridge, all the vitals in good condition.  When I
finished, she asked me "what do you think my piano is worth?"
Having appraised upright pianos in the past too numerous to count, I
have never been asked to appraise a Steinway.  The information I have on
piano appraisals gets kind of mushy when dealing with Steinways saying
that "depending on the condition of a Steinway, you could easily double
the appraised value of a lesser brand."

  Well, I've been in this business long enough to know not to insult
someone about their pianos worth.  She called Steinway and got a "ball
park" estimate of her pianos worth.

  Any help would be appreciated here (for I would like to keep her as a
customer).  Again, the piano is in above average-good condition.  She
wants the appraisal for insurance purposes.

Thanks in advance.
                                         Jim
                                         Fayetteville, GA