Keyboards!

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:49:26 EST

>Folks, what view is taken in America (and by the PTG) of part-time tuners?
>The Pianoforte Tuners Association in Britain will not permit part-timers to
>sit the test and join.  Their view is that a person could attain the
>standard neccessary to pass the test, but unless they are tuning full-time,
>they would not be able to maintain that standard.  What do you think about
>this?  I'm very interested in your opinions, especially as I am part-time
>myself.  There simply isn't enough volume of work available in this area to
>sustain a full-time wage all year round.
>
>Best wishes folks,
>
>David.

David:

It would seem to me that if a person has the ability to pass an exam, then
he/she should be allowed to take it, regardless of the number of hours he/she
devotes to making a living doing the work.

Where does the Pianoforte Tuners Association draw the line between full time
and part time? Does one have to work 40 hours a week, or 30, or 50?  What
happens when someone is slowing down in his/her later years, working only 15 -
20 hours a week, just to keep busy. Does the Association take his/her
membership away? Or is one considered "full time" only if he/she does not have
another job to suppliment one's income?

In Britain, are there other professions that have some sort of certification
test, have the same qualifications?

It is a shame that you are not able to make a full time living tuning pianos.
But that should not be a reason be left out of an organization that promotes
the welfare of the profession.

Just my opinion

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis