Component Downbearing Gauge Measurements

TLowell989@aol.com TLowell989@aol.com
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 12:44:08 EST

First I must apologize on behlaf of Pianotek for their not including the
instructions
to the Lowell Component Downbearing gauge.  Please  call them and request the
instructions, or if they are out, E-mail me back and I will send you some.

In brief, the thousandths of an inch quantities represented by the linear
increments
(division lines) on the gauge are the rise or fall (vertical dimeansion) per
inch of
length of piano string.  So, to give an example, if your rear string length
was
3" and your gauge measurement was .009", then the difference in elevation
between
the top the the bridge (a reference at zero), and the rear string rest would
be 3" x .009" or .027".  Very simple math.  These dimeansions can be converted
to degrees of angle by multiplying 1/6 degree times the number of division
lines the bubbble has crossed.  Crossing six division lines would mean 1 full
degree of string angle.  More simple math.  To determine the lbs. pressure
from the net downbearing measurement multiply the net bearing in thousandths
of an inch by the tension of  the string.  For example, a string of 200 lbs
tension, deflected by the bridge so that a net downbearing measurement of
.018" (1 degree) is created, will produce a downbearing pressure of 3.6 lbs.
(200 x .018).  More simple math.  Incidentially,  the bridge is pushing up at
the string 3.6 lbs. at the same time the string is pushing down on the bridge,
thus creating  a static equillibrium, like a depressed spring. An
understanding of trigonometry is unnecessary, but can't hurt anyone.

I hope the above has been helpful.  Please contact Pianotek re: the missing
instructions.  My apologies again.  Thanks for buying my gauge. Feel free to
ask more questions.