Broken Strings

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:13:33 -0600 (CST)

I always did the pull it sharp and mute routine. The note will be weak until
the next service, but it's in the process of "healing" and is a constant
reminder of the need for future service and the overall condition of the
instrument. In other words, it's the easiest way to go. %-) I don't use
string stretchers because of the damage it HAS to be doing to the bridge by
mashing the string into the speaking termination edge at the notch. I prefer
minimal long term damage to short term maximum effect.

Ron

At 12:39 PM 2/21/98 -0500, you wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 PDtek@aol.com wrote:
>

>> While we are on the subject, I would be curious to know what others do with a
>> broken plain wire, reuse the wire or replace it? Do you charge for return
>> trips to retune the string? Mute it till next tuning? How about bass strings?
>> Do you use universal bass strings and on what quality of piano?
>
>On the subject of plain wire replacements, I have a question I don't think
>I've seen addressed before. The problem, of course. is that the new wire
>is rapidly going to stretch out and go flat, which is really going to be a
>bummer if the note in question happens to be in the middle of the keyboard
>where it's played all the time. Tuning it sharp and muting it until the
>next tuning is certainly a possibility, but the note is really going to
>sound weak if only one string of a three sring unison is left sounding.
>My question is: How effective are those wheel-type string-stretchers and
>is there anyone out there using them with any regularity in situations
>like this? Thanks.
>
>Les Smith

 Ron Nossaman