Broken Strings reply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 12:06:02 -0600

Hi Les and All,
I have a wheel type stretcher that I have used in the past, mainly after
restringing.  The problem with using them on individual new strings is that
putting that much pressure on the string effects the others around it also.
 I would presume because of the pushing down of the bridge also.  After
restringing you are just trying to stretch everything and not concerned
with adjacent strings.
	What I try to do after replacing a new string is to pull the two sides of
the string in a normal position with pin nose pliers after coming around
the hitch pins. Another thing I do is to make the bend around the hitch pin
twice so there are 2 loops around the hitch pin which keeps the string from
moving around the hitch pin.  It also gives a nice appearance.  I like to
think it gives my stringing a "European Look", after all , I am so
cosmopolitan!    :>).
	No matter what you do, 2 new out of 3 strings is a bummer for a number of
months.  I personally mute off the new strings and the client pretty well
lives with it till next tuning.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"I'm on my way towards the mighty light of knowledge".