Pedals ? / Janizary

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:29:33 -0500

>List;
> I am reading the book written by Arthur Loesser entitled; "Men, Women and
>Pianos".  In the book Arthur makes mention of a piano Erard built for "Consul
>Bonaparte";   the passage reads:
>" .............it also had the row of condimentary pedals customary in Vienna
>instruments, five of them-an unacorda soft pedal, an ordinary sustaining
>pedal, a "basson", a "celeste" pianissimo made by a cloth damper, and a
>"Janizary music" (that is to say, drums and triangle).
>
>  Question:  What specifically is a Janizary ? How does/did it work ?

Jim,   the Janissary pedal is great fun!    The Janissary Bands were from
Turkey, and toured to great enthusiasm in the late 18th century and early
19th century throughout Europe.  Think of Mozart's Turkish Rondo?

The form of the stop varied, but a typical installation included a
parchment drum head under the piano, and generally some triangles as well,
so when you put the pedal down you get a loud thump and jangle.   Great
fun, especially if you've not told your modern audience you have the stop,
they about flip out of their chairs when you hit that in the middle of the
music.

Best,  Anne

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos