please advise action bracket repair

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts tkeenan@kermode.net
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 19:32:28 -0800

Dear List:

I came across a situation the other day which I have not encountered
before.  I went to tune a 1910 or so Heintzman full-size upright (or
vertical as you Americans say) and found both of the end action brackets
broken off below where they attach to the action.  The top parts were
still attached to the bolts, and the owner had no idea how it got that
way. I am presuming it was due to an end-on impact during moving. (The
bottom bits were still in situ).  It hadn't been tuned for a long time
(several years) and the previous tuner hadn't noticed (or commented on
it).  I wonder what advice you might have as to the best repair. My first
inclination was brazing, but I thought that epoxy might be easier and
safer.  I haven't used epoxy for such a repair before, but I think that
the rough crystalline surface of the broken cast metal might allow it to
work satisfactorily.

All suggestions gratefully accepted--especially from those who have
successfully completed such a repair and had it last!

Thanks for all replies.

Tim Keenan
Noteworthy Piano Service

Terrace, BC