Touch weight and re-busing action centers

David W. Pitsch dpitsch@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 13:57:20 -0700

I would stick (no pun intended) to the hot hide glue, as it cools very fast and this keeps it
from penetrating into the bushing cloth.  Liquid hide glue takes hours to dry, and there is
more potential for the glue to saturate the cloth.  You need not buy a hot glue pot, I use a
baby food jar in a basin of hot water kept hot by a "third burner".  The important thing here
is to buy high quality hide glue (APSCO is a very good source), and don't let the water get
too hot.  If the glue boils, throw it out.  You can sucessfully reheat hide glue a couple of
times.  This is why it is used especially in key bushings as it releases with steam very
quickly, allowing the keys to be re-bushed many times with no wood loss.
Good luck.