Recipe for trouble

NBWW@aol.com NBWW@aol.com
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:42:51 EST

List
I have made a couple of piano keys as a last resort to repairng the broken
originals. I used yellow poplar mostly because of availability. I understand
sugar pine, basswood can be used (maybe check with a manufacturer). I took all
the keys around the broken one out and developed the pattern for the new one
with their profiles. Remember to mark which side of the line to cut along. The
first attempt was a disaster. The second, I made the key slightly oversize in
width. This allowed me to custom trim when I got back to the piano. Pin hole
and key button placement was easy, using the neighboring keys as guides.
Adjustments side to side were done by trimming the excess width of the key
during the final fitting at the piano. With all sides trimmed to fit, the key
top was glued on and the required regulating done. I hope this post isn't too
late to help.

Paul Chick rpt
Plainview MN