Pitch Raising =NOT tightening plate screws

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 23:36:20 -0600

The first time you come to a piano it behooves you to know  which
plate screws, bolts are loose. There are many reasons for this.  You
may email me for these.  :  ,)   Whether you should tighten them is
up to you.
I would think they would not  need to be checked again until or
unless tuning problems occur. Well maybe once every 5 or ten years,
for alternating climate conditions such as South Dakota.
	BTW I have found a 3/8 drive breaker bar with a socket containing a
large bladed tip works the best esp in and around the trap work in
uprights.  Then you need a large philips for moderns.   For the
spinets that have the lower plate screws behind the trap board
(bottom board)  ummm...  then, like some one said, don't sweat it
unless there are tuning problems.

> And while on this thread, I once heard an older, experienced
technician say
> that he would NEVER tighten any plate bolts in the winter season.
Any
> thoughts on the validity of that one?

Looking for loose plate bolts is not the same as tightening them.
Always remember it is up to you what you do. (Barely Bright) The
ideal by imagination is to have all the screws the same tightness.
(same torgue)
What does it matter if it is winter or summer when you do this?  Do
they not screw down plates in the winter time on Long Island?  In
winter one would suspect loose screws would be easier to find.

Richard Moody  LSD  (Loose screw diagnostician)
	WARNING: Loose scews have been known to cause "ontstemd"

----------
> From: MHoffman11@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Pitch Raising =NOT tightening plate screws
> Date: Wednesday, February 18, 1998 8:08 PM

> Hello Del, Wim and List:
>
> <<
>  A practice which is greatly over-rated in its importance. For the
rest of
> what I have to
>  say about this practice, see the Journal a few months back.
>
>  Del
>   >>

> I've come to this conclusion, too.  I go through streaks of
tightening before
> tuning and then long streaks of not worrying about tightening any
plate
> screws/bolts.  And, frankly, tuning stability is the same.
Humidity