More things I read relating to music

PatWilbur@aol.com PatWilbur@aol.com
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 20:17:24 EST

As long as I'd bothered to find the music sci-fi story, here's a couple of
other items I've been meaning to pass along:

Book review from Scientific American 9/97 - Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy: How
Music Captures Our Imagination, by Robert Jordain, published by William
Morrow. "The book is well suited to the musician who knows little of science
but is eager to know more as it relates to music and to the scientist who may
enjoy music but does not know much about its structure." There's more - the
review itself is interesting - and now that I've dug this out of paper piles,
I'll look for the book.

Book review from Scientific American 5/97 (my, I guess it _was_ about time I
cleaned my desk) - Self-Similar Melodies, by Tom Johnson, published by Two-
Eighteen Press. "An appreciation of the connection between mathematics and
music dates back at least to Pythagoras, but rarely does one have a chance to
explore that connection in such intimate detail as in these bracing pages."
Sounds interesting, but does not quite sound like light reading.

Pat Wilbur, Associate
Fort Worth, TX