Pitch Rasing using the SAT

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 00:20:09 +0000

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> This topic might have been talked about before, but I want to pose a couple of
> questions regarding pitch rasing using the SAT or RCT.
>
> When Dee Schaefer gave her program on pitch raising using the SAT at our last
> chapter meeting, she discribed how the SAT instruction require that a pitch of
> a string needs to be measured, and then the SAT would automatically determine
> how much the string needs to be raised. When Kent gave his class on the use of
> the RCT, I believe he mentioned that the same thing is done with that program.
> (Am I right so far?)  Dee also said she never raises the ptich of the bass
> strings over A440, for fear of breaking the strings.
>
> I got to thinking about that proceedure, and how it is different than I do a
> pitch raise, using the SAT. I measure the pitch at A, and then offset the
> machine 1/4 higher, (the "normal" proceedure). I then set a FAC, ( or use a
> preporgramed tuning)  and tune the whole piano. I then retune the piano,
> again, setting a FAC, or using the preprogrammed tuning.
>
> Now the question. The way I see it, the original method, (measuring each
> string, or a group of 5 or 6 notes worth of strings) and then raising them
> accordingly, seems to be approaching the pitch raise from a point of view of
> where the individual (or small group) strings were, as apposed to where the
> all the strings have to go. While it is important to know that the whole piano
> is in need of having the pitch raised, and even to know approximately how much
> the pitch has to be raised, wouldn't it be better to raise the pitch to where
> the whole piano is supposed to wind up, rather than adjust each string
> according to where it was? (Am I making any sense?)
>
> Another question, one that I posed at the end of my pitch raising post.  Some
> of you mentioned tightening the plate screws before doing a pitch raise. Since
> I never do this,  is there something I am doing wrong? How important is
> tightening plate bolts?
>
> Willem Blees RPT

	Check out the June 1977 PTJ for overshoot pitch raise technique. The
method I use is from Al Sanderson but does not work completely on the
SAT for the simple reason that the pitch raise calculator is set at a
25% overshoot.
 I use the pitch raise calculator on the SAT for a couple of different
reasons. By setting your SAT to a 1/4 offset, you are assuming that the
piano is already in tune (with itself) only flat. I notice that
different sections go out of tune differently, therefore by using a
straight 1/4 offset for the entire piano you will not be as close as you
could be.
	I start by measuring A-440 with SAT in tune mode. if more than 5 cents
offset then pitch correction is needed. Weather sharp or flat. Always
check to make sure that its not just A-440 that is out of tune.
	Find a page in memory for the piano to be tuned (or one similar, or do
a rough measure of FAC, will not be stable numbers, but ok for pitch
correction.)
	Starting with A0 (SAT numbering), ALL copper wound strings are tuned
with NO pitch offset (bass and tenor) there are not that many strings
and two rough passes can be done in 5 minutes. all plain strings are
measured using pitch raise calculator and tuned. Actually I only measure
every C and F# and first note of each section. I use C#6 instead of C6
on pianos that I had to make FAC measurements and likewise F#3 instead
of F3 if F3 is the first plain string in the tenor/treble section. I
remeasure every few notes for the reason that different sections go out
of tune differently. I notice that the plain strings in the tenor
section tend to be really sharp as compared to the rest of the piano,
and the farther up the scale the flatter it gets. By using a 1/4 offset
for entire piano (which I have tried), bass wound strings was way too
much (only need about a 20% overshoot instead of 25%), tenor wound
wouldn't be enough (need about 33% overshoot) and the rest was close,
but could have been closer, tenor was too much and treble was never
enough. Thses are pianos that I have serviced in the past fairly
recently, usually between 1 1/2 to 2 years, but a bit overdue for a
standard tuning.
	As for the little old lady who calls and wants to schedule her
biCENTENNIAL tuning. Well I still use close to the same procedure. Tune
bass to pitch, two or three passes. Treble may take a couple of passes
also, I like to take measurements more frequently, usually all F, A, and
C#'s. Always charge accordingly unless you are feeling a bit genorous. I
rarely do because I always ask the customer (if new) when was the last
time it was tuned, and if it is more then 12 Months, give them the scoop
on pitch corrections. They know in advance that there is a possibility
and I will need to measure the pitch of the piano before I can determine
weather or not it will require pitch correction. The other reason is
some of the time when you are called to service a piano that has not
been serviced for years or even decades, chances are that it won't be
serviced again for more years or decades, no matter how much I can
educate them on piano service. (which I am currently working on a
marketing/service long post).
	I think probably the main reason I like the SAT for pitch raising is
that I can raise pitch over 100 cents and do a fine tuning and still be
on time to my next appointment. Pitch raise can be done in 20 minutes or
less. I can't beat that aurally. But I'm sure that there are those of
you that can. For me the SAT and the method I use work. For the next
person, you have to find what works the best for you.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH