cost of pianos was Re: a different piano design...

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:00:11 EST

>If you divide retail in half you would have the cost of the piano to the
>dealer, not the factory. Assuming the manufacturer would want to make the
>same
>profit as the dealer, he would have to produce the piano for one fourth of
>retail. Of course, I have only seen one piano sell for retail in this area in
>the last twenty years so perhaps the figures would have to be adjusted. The
>basic point would be that many times we overlook the business side of the
>piano business. (We are not dealers but we work with three dealerships as
>contract service providers.)

The Ancott book list prices based on the retail price as being twice the whole
sale price. At first, this is the price I thought I would have to pay. But I
found out I can get a much better discount if I order more pianos, and even a
bigger discount for paying cash. Is the whole saler  taking less profit, just
as I am making less profit to sell my pianos, or are the manufactureres
reducing their price to get the merchandise out of the factory?

Willem Blees