Digitals-- and sound modelling

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 19:24:12 +0000

> Date:          Mon, 16 Feb 1998 11:51:05 -0700
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> From:          John Musselwhite <musselj@cadvision.com>
> Subject:       Re: Digitals--

> At 10:20 AM 2/15/98 -0500, Stephen wrote:
>
> >To clarify here, when I talk of the next generation these will not be
> >"digital". With "physical modelling" the input/output response itself is
> >modelled. Particular waveforms are not linked to particular input
> >combinations (interpreted from key motion). No matter how many of these
>
> This is what Sound Blaster is attempting to do with the Advanced Wave
> Effects (AWE) system they're using in the SB64 AWE and other cards. The
> technology uses what they call "sound fonts" that sit in RAM (4 megs of
> it!). The piano sound is still a little weak, but it's miles ahead of what
> it was on earlier sound cards.

With all due respect to SoundBlaster and the sound font system (I own
an AWE32), Stephen is correct when he states that this technique
still depends on pre-existing samples, and is not a directly
triggered waveform response. The Damper Physical Modelling and
Natural String Resonance trademarks of General Music that I mentioned
in an earlier post is also dependent on pre-existing samples, but
they use post-processing techniques to bring these samples into play
when different keys and combinations thereof are struck, simulating
the responses inherent in a string-bridge-soundboard tone generation
system.
	As of yet, no one manufacturer has embraced physical modelling as a
complete tone generation source, they are all dependent on refining
sampling techniques to a point where the average listener can't
distinguish a piece played on a digital and on a piano (blindfolded,
in the dark, and not playing the instrument). Some are quite good.
The Roland KR series digitals have a respectable grand piano
sound sample coupled with a powerful amplification system,
resulting in a realistic piano tone reproduction. According
to the dealer I work for, the new KR-1070 digital grand from
Roland is housed in a 5'8" grand case, and among other toys,
you get the choice of Steinway & Sons D (NY) sampled grand
sound, or with the flick of a button, Bosendorfer 290 sampled
sound. However, they don't address the damper-soundboard-string
modelling in the General Music digitals, and the difference is
noticeable. Also, the General Instrument  RP series have a
rudimentary aftertouch 'bump' built into the keys, which the Rolands,
Korgs, and I believe, Yamahas don't. It doesn't give the pianist the
control over repetition and dynamics that pianos offer, but it's a
start.
	It seems that there is a different market for digitals over pianos,
and this is not a bad thing. Church groups really go for the
digitals, as they are portable, can be hooked through a sound system,
and servicing is minimal. Before you protest, think of the number of
poorly serviced, inadequate, downright pathetic pianos you have tuned
in churches that really don't have the money to adequately maintain a
respectable piano. Ah, but that's a different post...............

Still tuning those pianos & lovin' them,

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG
atonal@planet.eon.net