a different piano design...

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 00:54:11 -0600

----------
> From: Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: a different piano design...
> Date: Sunday, February 15, 1998 12:48 PM
>
> On my wish list is a replacement for the tubular action frame.
> More times than not, it is extremely difficult to maintain
> hammer spacing.
>
> Jon Page

Which I am still trying to understand, Why would you need to space
the hammers to begin with? I know we ran this by on Tec chat, but
sometimes I am slow. .  Unless someone before you bungled the
hanging?  I mean if they came from the factory spaced..... spaced OK
I mean...If they were not that is Steinway's problem, not a problem
of the tubular action rail.  Because I have never seen hammer spacing
problems in Steinways execpt from faulty rebuilds. I am sure there
are others who have seen hundreds more than I have with the same
opinion.  Or let's hear it, that is what a forum is for...
I have been led to understand that if hammers on the S&S t.a.r. need
to be spaced, the flange  holes are large enough to move to the left
or right to accomplish that.  Any more would cause the balance levers
to miss one side of the knuckle or other. On uprights you burn 'em in
just like any other brand.

Richard Doesnotfiddleandburnatthesametime Moody