a different piano design...

Sun, 15 Feb 1998 14:23:07 -0800

Mike Swendsen wrote:

>  Del:About 7 or 8 years ago I played a wonderful guitar that had a carbon graphite top.
> The tone was powerful and warm.  Really a delight to listen to and to play.   I often
> thought since then that it would probably be quite possible to build soundboard
> including bridges and ribs out of carbon graphite/boron graphite etc..  ( some new
> composite material)  Everything could be built-up or cast as necessary or as designed,
> I'm sure there a re fewer construction restrictions with the new materials than with
> spruce.  And it would be absolutely water/humidity resistant. ( No seasonal tuning
> changes due to humidity changes)If it could be made to sound as good as that guitar
> sounded, who knows?
>
>      C. Mike Swendsen  RPT

Mike,

There are several materials available today that would probably make good piano
soundboards. Take a look at the patent files. I've worked with only a couple of them, and
those only enough to probably be dangerous. That is to say, I'm not ready to give up on
Sitka spruce quite yet.

There are a number of problems facing the brave soul who first tries to market a piano
with a composite -- or whatever -- soundboard. Most of those problems will have to do with
convincing the technical community that they will really work. No matter that this board
may appear in the best sounding piano the world has ever seen.

Del