Digitals--

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 15:12:07 -0600

Stephen Birkett wrote:

> It will be quite possible to mimic the real piano closely (at least for mass
> consomption) by this method. First we need to learn a lot more about how the
> real thing responds.

Hello Stephen,

I agree that physical modeling technology is a dramatic improvement over
sampling.  It is particularly well suited to the change in timbre over time as
the real thing does rather than looping the sustain portion of the envelope.  My
complaint with electronics has been its inability to imatate the interaction
between the strings and soundboard when playing chords or using the sustain
pedal.

We all know that each string excites harmonics in other un-damped strings.  The
timbre of a single note will be much different when it is played with and without
the sustain pedal.  Will physical modeling actually address this?  How much
computing power will be required to model the string - bridge - soundboard
relationship?  How far do we need to go in emulating a piano?

Once we overcome the obstacles in the way of accurate sound reproduction, we
still have the tactile obsticles in our way.  Remember the Korg electric grand or
the Yamaha CP series?  They certainly felt and sounded like a piano, but they
lived a very short life.  Wasn't that because prospective customers were willing
to accept less in the way of sound & touch in return for more favorable size,
weight and price?

Danny Moore
http://www.setexas.com/danmoore/