a different piano design...reply

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 12:27:29 -0600

Hi Mike,
	I have heard of guitar construction like that and it sounds like a great
idea but I do not think the large companies would try it.  Now some smaller
ones or maybe Del.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"I'm on my way towards the mighty light of knowledge".

----------
From: Mike Swendsen <mike.swendsen@shaw.wave.ca>
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: a different piano design...
Date: Sunday, February 15, 1998 11:58 AM

Del:
About 7 or 8 years ago I played a wonderful guitar that had a carbon
graphite top.  The tone was powerful and warm.  Really a delight to listen
to and to play.   I often thought since then that it would probably be
quite possible to build soundboard including bridges and ribs out of carbon
graphite/boron graphite etc..  ( some new composite material)  Everything
could be built-up or cast as necessary or as designed, I'm sure there a re
fewer construction restrictions with the new materials than with spruce.
And it would be absolutely water/humidity resistant. ( No seasonal tuning
changes due to humidity changes)
If it could be made to sound as good as that guitar sounded, who knows?
    C. Mike Swendsen  RPT