Plastic Elbows

DGPEAKE@aol.com DGPEAKE@aol.com
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 21:34:44 EST

<<
 I just returned from tuning a spinet which has plastic elbows.  I've been
 replacing elbows one at a time for several years.  The customer decided to
 have them replaced one at a time instead of all at once. There were 2 keys
 down when I arrived and she knew what the problem was.  What she didn't
 know was that the 2 keys were ones that I had put new elbows on in the
 past.  The elbows had split where they click onto the center pin.  These
 were the yellow type of elbows.  Does anyone know if the quality of modern
 day click-on elbows is inferior depending on the manufacturer?  I've never
 had this happen before but I've used mostly the clear plastic as
 replacements. Any ideas?

 Ted Simmons, Merritt Island, FL

>From what I have been told, the clear plastic is the new "space age" plastic
that will hold up well without breaking.  I like the Vagias elbows and the
ease of installing them.  If there is any doubt, replace with wood.  There are
ways to do this without removing the wippins.  If you like, I can email you
privately with the method.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland, OR