old steinway

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 15:03:14 -0600 (CST)

Hi Don,

I can't imagine anything less than a thorough rebuilding - strings, dampers,
pinblock, bridge work, soundboard, action, lyre and trapwork overhaul -
getting the piano anywhere near concert level. If their criteria is whether
or not it makes noise when a key is depressed (give - or - take 88), it's
ready now. Otherwise, it ought to be all - or - nothing. JMO

Ron

At 01:32 PM 2/14/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have been asked to give an opinion on a very old (i.e. still iron wound
>strings) Steinway.
>
>There are only 19 cracks in the soundboard, some of which run under the
>bridge. There are no buzzes. It was last tuned in 1984 to A440 and is now
>12 cents flat.
>
>The intended use is as a concert level instrument.
>
>What would the list recommend as a *miniumum* to get this instrument to
>concert level?
>Regards, Don

 Ron Nossaman