Vertigris

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 10:43:08 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard again:

I snipped the following from your post to Ron:

"But what I want to know how come it is always the hammer flanges in
this "one" brand of piano?  Why not the whippen or jack flanges?
Don't remember seeing it on the BL flanges either."

Well, I believe Steinway people at that time (and for a long time) thought
that the paraffin oil was a good thing. So, if it helps hammer flanges, it
must also help wippen flanges. My Steinway L circa 1952 has it both places
as well as in the spring groove on the bottom of the Repetition lever
(balancier as they call it). However, I don't see it on the Rep Lever
flange.

At the Baldwin action plant in Juarez, Chih., Mexico, They take special
pains to wash out the bushing cloth while still in the large sheet form.
They go so far as to producing and using pure water in order to eliminate
any foreign substance which may rise up and bite them later.

Jim Coleman, Sr.