digital Vs real

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 21:01:49 -0600

Hi All,
	I didn't really mean for the digital discussion to go this way  but so be
it.  Over on the pipe organ list
(piporg-l@cnsibm.albany.edu) this digital versus pipes goes on and on with
members being insulted, flamed , and sometimes driven off the list.  If you
think we are opinionated, you should read what the pipe purists go on and
on about.  We are hopefully not going to go in the same direction.
	The digital organ makers do very well at imitating individual stops
(ranks).  It is when the stops are combined into ensembles that the
differences between pipes and electronic start showing up.  It is kind of
the effect of playing individual notes and listening and then playing
chords with the sustain pedal and listening.  A lot depends on the number
of separate channels of amplification, the number and size of speakers, and
the placement of these speakers which give more or less the feeling of
realism.  Remember the first digital pianos were mono and now they are in
stereo first in 8 note polyphony and now in 16 note polyphony and next on
to 32 note polyphony.
	Hopefully we will not resort to these sharp distinctions of opinion.  The
pipe organ tuners and techs are growing fewer and fewer each year as the
prices of new pipe organ is soaring, sometimes as high as $10,000 per rank.
 I wonder if the same will happen to pianos.  I used to have an 8 rank
theatre organ (circa 1921) in my home and now I have an Allen TO.  Not the
same, but it all fits in 1 cabinet and sounds exactly the same as when I
bought it in 1986 with just a couple of service calls.  How long will it
last, who knows.
What will be our future in this depends on how well you younger techs can
adapt to changing times, develop complimentary skills around the piano, and
sharp business no-how.  In many ways I wish I was just getting started.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G. from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"I'm on my way to the mighty light of knowledge".