Verdigris

Bob Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:19:52 -0700

Having gone through years of struggling with verdigris in old S&S
actions, and having tried lubrication, repinning, rebushing, and
heating, I like to replace parts. I have found several instances in
which new parts improved action geometry.

I know that there will always be numerous situations in which parts
replacement is too costly for the piano owner. I wondered when someone
would mention the heating approach. I tried that on the advice of Ed
McMorrow. He suggested that this yielded reliable results. My results
have been mixed. You don't need to apply anything to the flanges to
evoke bubbling and smoke(as Del Fandrich suggested). The paraffin oil
(if that is the right term) will bubble and smoke out of the flanges
like gangbusters. We're talking about drastic measures, charred wood,
etc. If it helps, do it. Just don't count on it lasting for any
particular time, exceptions notwithstanding.

I heard Willis Snyder comment on replacing bushings, referring to it as
a desperate and unproductive exercise. I have to agree with that. Protek
can help. For how long? It always boils down to how long you guarantee
your results.

If parts replacement is out of the questions, anything goes, but how do
you guarantee the results? Just cover your bases when you are thin ice.

The sad thing about teflon is that despite its good frictional
qualities, its fragility makes it an unacceptable substance for
bushings. I've replaced action parts on a 1970's S&S grand as well as a
1920's model. It's a shame to have to go to that expense after only 25
years.

Bob Anderson

Tucson, AZ