Structural integrity of S&S

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:08:03 -0700

-------------------------------

-------------------------------
Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
> That photo has more to do with the strength of the piano's legs than it does the > strength of the "acoustic" strength of the rim & bellyrail assembly. For
> acoustical reasons we find that it is necessary to add bracing to these rims as
> well.
-------------------------------

Ahh yes, but now we're getting into "accoustics". I was refering (as the
original question was posed) to "structural" integrity of the case. The
piano pictured was subject to stresses in excess of 10 tons! Certainly a
triumph for any piano. Just exactly how much stress such an instrument
could withstand I couldn't begin to calculate, but certainly 10 tons is
impressive. I would not suggest we do a destructive test to find out
which brand of piano can withstand the most abuse, but I think S&S has
held it's ground. Yes, the legs were certainly put to the test, but I
wouldn't say that the rest of the piano was whistling dixie.
Particularly since the strings alone normaly add an additional 20 tons
of tension to the instrument. Also- it is probably safe to say that the
this weight was not gently layed on the instrument. Rest assured, it was
a sudden bouncing crash!

Thus, getting back to the original topic, under "normal" use,(unless
normal means that you live under a volcano), I think it is safe
statement to tell a customer that S&S rank top on the list. The VERY
top? Who knows. Again, I wouldn't want to do a destructive test to find
out, but it is probably a safe statement to say so in a business
environment anyway.

Just a thought... (bracing for flames)

Rob Goodale, RPT