Digitals--

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:26:00 -0500

Who's ignoring digitals?   They are fascinating, as is each stage of
development (well, maybe not a Betsy Ross spinet).   I have a synthesizer.
No better way to input a tune into the computer.  My dearest friend is a
professional composer and pianist who uses a digital piano like object
(DPLO) for his work, including composing sonatas for harpsichord (don't
worry Stephen we make sure he gets real harpsichords to refine them on).
He uses the same keyboard for MIDI orchestrations.

He longs for a compact MIDI keyboard with far better touch and sound
though.   I'll take suggestions of people's favorites if they are willing.
As do I so I can rapidly demonstrate and try different temperaments.

I would assume all these bright pianer tooners can adapt to working on
digitals.  There are still mechanical parts, and advice to give,  parts to
sell.  It will just be different.   They adapted to SATs and laptops.  So
you take a new set of training courses.

Besides,  the acoustic is far from dead.   When they are running partial
differentials on all the possible combinations of undamped tones within an
acoustic box, then I'll have some faith in their sampling.   You cannot
experience the beach by looking at individual grains of sand.  You cannot
model a Killer B by sampling individual notes played at one acceleration
and intensity.

ab -- who dreams of having one of everything available to play within a
half hour drive

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.