More:Re: verdegris action parts

Paul Dempsey dempsey@ramlink.net
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:30:57 -0400

>Hi list,
>
> I have been following the thread about sluggish action parts and installing
> player mechanisms. What is the opinion of the list as to rebushing versus
> replacing the parts. For instance, do you all find it better or easier to
> rebush and repin, or would you consider it too much bother and just replace
> the parts? I have used the Renner cloth in an assembly line fasion, and it
> seems to work well. Any thoughts at all on the subject? I’m sure a lot of you
> have been doing this kind of work for a lot longer than I have. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Ray Irving

I have often noticed that there is hardly ANY question that can be asked re the work we do that the answer won't begin with  "It depends"

You ask "do you all find it better or easier to rebush and repin, or would you consider it too much bother and just replace the parts? "

It depends. What is your customers budget? Is the time you spend rebushing worth more than the cost of the new parts? What shape are the flange/shanks in otherwise? Are the knuckles shot? How 'bout hammers?
What about the wippens and backaction? Are you considering rebushing an entire set of wips?  BIG job. After they are rebushed ....how about the rep springs. Again, how does the cost of new parts compare to the value of your time?
Some points to ponder.

Another question to the list in general. The merits of Protek in a vertigris situation have been well discussed and it seems to me that most of us find that the immediate results are admireable but not permanant. In a couple of years the problem is back.

Here's the thing though.... I've had shanks/flanges nearly immobilized by verdigris(squeeky tight) and treating with protek almost instantly free's them, but at the same time the treatment doesn't touch the wippen centers. Sluggish as ever. Anyone care to venture a guess as to why that is?

Paul E. Dempsey
Piano Tuner/Technician
Marshall University
Huntington, WV