Verdigris

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:21:59 -0600 (CST)

At 08:51 AM 2/12/98 -0800, you wrote:

>JIMRPT@aol.com wrote:

>>   In my experience with this beloved substance the better the
manufacturer the
>> more often this problem will be evidenced.  The better manufacturers tried to
>> solve the moisture related problems with their instrument and the less better
>> (hows that for grammar Ms. Susan?) manufacturers didn't.  As a consequence we
>> see the problem of Verdigris on the S7Ss, M&Hs etc of the world much, much
>> more often than on the Wurlitzers, et al.

Jim: Only the good die green!?

>Clever how you were able to avoid using the dreaded POS and/or PSO
acronyms. Is this the
>opposite of "less bad?"
>
>Del

Del: Yep, more or less.

Errata: I did a "last ditch", "won't spring for parts replacement" action
desecration on an old S&S with action seize from vertigrease. I told the
customer that there was a fair chance the procedure would kill her action
outright, but she pointed out that it already wasn't working and authorized
the attempt. Here's what I did.

I DRENCHED the flange centers with the (at the time) favored silicone/naptha
mix and hit them with a heat gun! I got the flanges hot enough that they
bubbled and "steamed" (nope, definitely not SMOKE... definitely not, never
mind the color change in some of them) as the naptha gassed out and
apparently brought some of the goo out with it. When the STEAM (it was NOT
smoke, I said) cleared, everything worked smoothly and the lady was
delighted. She has it tuned faithfully, every two or three years, and
nothing has seized up, or even slowed down, in the ten years or so since I
did the deed. This actually seems to have worked, but I suspect the cure is
hard enough on the parts that I would hesitate to call it a fix, or
recommend it to anyone.

"Live and Learn" may be the way it's supposed to work, but why has my
"errata" file gotten so big?

"It isn't easy being green."
           --- Kermit the Frog ---

 Ron Nossaman