Overcharge?

Mike Masters agraffes@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 23:51:14 +0000

Susan Kline wrote:

> Dear Dick,
>

> I, personally, do not insist upon another tuning in a month, though I'm sure
> opinion varies. I tell people that they should call me in six months, or
> whenever the piano starts to bother them, whichever is sooner. It is up to
> them whether they call me or not ...

Dick,
	As among the many good responses I've seen so far. This is one point I
agree with Susan on. Not trying to be egotistical or anything (probably
woorking on new Baldwins with extra-extra tight pins helps this.) I
don't need to see the piano in a month or so. even after a 100c + raise
in pitch. I have gone back to do a touch up for no charge when I was
much younger and less experienced(technical and business wise), and even
then, after a month there was not much to touch up, maybe a couple of
unisons. But the customer always, always says the piano sounds good to
them. (like they know, most of them anyways) I have people tell me all
the time the only reason they have their piano tuned is because I say it
needs it every 6 mos. (The PTG marketing tools also are BIG help.)
	Getting off on a thread here, brings up the latter part of Susans
reply. How are most techs, handling their calls and scheduling. One of
the things that I learned from potter school of tech. was entitled how
to get your customers and keep them. I have, since the beginning of my
business Jan 96., sent out HANDWRITTEN reminders on nice musical
stationary. Very time consuming, I know. But get this. I have a client
base of just over 500. and I am managing to see 20 pianos a week for
tuning. 5 a day 4 days a week, 1 - 2 days shop. I think the reasons why
I have had success is my good lo... is educating the customer on first
contact about the importance of having your piano tuned regularly (as in
a minimum of twice a year.) All manufacturers recommend at least twice a
year. We all know the reasons why. Make sure you tell your customer why,
and while your mentioning relative humidity, bring up Dampp-Chaser, and
with their new video, WOW. Also to go along with all the info in the
Client Care Package is a the hand written reminder. this is the selling
point for me. I get about 75% response with a follow up call to schedule
a tuning within 2 weeks after mailing the reminder. I remember back to
the beginning and thinking how I cant wait to hit that 1000 or 1500
pianos in a year mark. It happened much faster than I was expecting. I
know of technicians who have a computer spit out names as labels and
affix the labels to a small post card type reminder (usually xeroxed
construction type paper) and still only work on pianos part time with a
1500 - 2000 client base. I couldn't even imagine.
	I'm not saying that this is the best way to get and keep your
customers, but I've had awfully good response from it. I would be
curious as to how other techs are doing and what marketing methods you
might be using.

Mike Masters
Masters Piano Service
Lakewood, OH