Overcharge?

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:14:27 -0700 (MST)

Hi Dick:

In Phoenix I charge 75 for regular tuning and for PR, an additional 35.
Others in this area charge 65 and 30. There are more than one other who
charge 85 and 50. Of course, there are always a few on the fringes who
are not full time technicians who are still charging 55 and 25.

You are definitely not out of line. Perhaps a little low compared to
larger cities in your area. One thing I have discovered is that if my
price is low, I seem to get a lot of junky pianos on which to work. When
my price is higher, this automatically weeds out people like this customer.
Don't let it bother you. Some husbands just do not trust their wives and
they give them a hard time if they thing that someone took advantage of
them. In this case, the wife made the agreement with you. He has
countermanded her judgment. No one can solve that problem for her. If it
were up to her she would probably send in the money. I hate it when a man
treats his wife like that. I had a similar happening like that many years
ago. It's just not worth worrying over. You know that you did right by them.
Take your satisfaction in that and forget the money. She may save some money
out of her grocery money and send it in anyway. Just don't count on it.

Jim Coleman, Sr.