Overcharge?

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 20:16:31 -0600 (CST)

>...NOW THE QUESTION???  Do these fees seem out of line?
>
>$60.00 standard tuning
>$40.00 for pitch change (any amount at all over +/- 15c,regarless of the
>number of passes)
>And then another tuning in one month.
>
>Thanks for the wisdom of the list.
>
>Dick Day
>Marshall MI

Dick,

Since you didn't ask this question prior to your non-payment experience, it
would seem to me that was not an issue.  What seems more relevant is that
this particular customer thinks your fees are out of line, whether they are
or not.

The way I see it.  You collected $70.  Be glad you walked away with that
much and the learning experience to boot, especially since it's a first
time for you.  It could have been much worse.  The husband could have come
home and confronted you *while* you were collecting the money from his
wife.

A good policy to consider implementing is to clarify up front, when once on
location, the charges previously discussed prior to arriving.  This makes
certain both you and the customer are on the same wave length.  Might be
awkward in some situations, but not near as awkward as you just
experienced, or could have experienced.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician